Sydney to Hobart Yacht Racing

Fishing in Tasmania

Moderator: Ross Compe

Ross Compe

Sydney to Hobart Yacht Racing

Post by Ross Compe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:29 am

Hard to pass up this major event for the people of Tasmania. Once again we are about to enjoy one the worlds greatest yachting race the 75th Sydney to Hobart offshore sailing challenge.
I am fortunate enough to have a family member who has competed in this iconic event.
Distance measured by air from the start to finish is 1057 kms and sea and prevailing weather conditions test even the greatest sailers in the world and we congradulate all our Australian competitors and in particular the local Tasmanian entrents who are expected to perform well in the handicap division.
Line honours and early favourites are Comanche and of course Wild Oats X1.
Safe passage and good winds for all.
I myself was a keen sailor in my early years and like fishing it is all part of being a water man.
Fantastic spectacle and great for the local economies of both Sydney and the capitol of Tasmania Hobart.
I was fortunate enough to be invited offshore during the Americas Cup held in Fremantle Western Australia and be part of the defence of of the cup.
Great memories of Sir James Hardy and other sporting icons such as Bruce Laird the Australian Test Cricketer opening batsman.
I remember visiting Roley Taskers to see first hand the sail makers work and enjoying Her Royal Highness presence along with such identities as Ted Turner and of course Ben Lexen.
These are enormous events changed Fremantle for the better and we as a community never looked back.
Amazing days with Bond commitment that held the world spotlight on our state.
Another family member repaired the broken mast on a earlier challenger Southern Cross at Yanchep.
I reckon I could catch a biggin from a boat on the way over to Tassie :lol: :lol:
God Bless and Merry Christmas and wishing everybody a great new year.
Looks like a bumpy year and our thoughts are and best wishes are with our New South Welshmen who have suffered mightily with catastrophic bush fires and our exceptional fire fighters who have once again demonstrated the spirit of our great country Australia.
Our thanks to those who gave so much and those who paid with their lives in the defence of life and property and our thoughts and support to the many who have suffered from the fires.
Tight Lines and Fair Winds to yous all....
Aye Aye :!: :!: :!:
Attachments
Racing Sydney to Hobart Yacht Event.jpg
Racing Sydney to Hobart Yacht Event.jpg (1.58 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
"Remember Folks There Has Never Been A Fish Worth Dying For"

Return to “FISHING IN TASMANIA”