Fishing 30mt on the W/E

Western Australia-Pilbara Region: Fishing reports from Port Hedland, general discussion on fishing and boating in the incredible Northwest of Western Australia. Fishing for Sailfish, Mulloway, Barramundi, Trevally, Queenfish, Barracuda and more.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Mullaking

Fishing 30mt on the W/E

Post by Mullaking » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:12 am

Went out approx 50km on the weekend to have a bit of a play.
Tried a few reefy spots on the way only to leave dissapointed with not even a stripey to speak of.
Eventually found a school of Bludger Trev which also contained some Spaniards, Mack Tuna and Goldens.
Found a stray Chinaman while on the drift too which was small but red. Red is a very exciting colour when your out amongst it. :lol:

Bust ups all around, birds going ballistic, bait schools getting annihalated, reels screaming, lures going awol :shock: :shock: :shock: .......pretty much loved every minute of it. 8)
Attachments
offshore 062a.jpg
offshore 062a.jpg (53.98 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
jons pics2 015a.jpg
jons pics2 015a.jpg (74.38 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
jons pics2 022a.jpg
jons pics2 022a.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
offshore 064a.jpg
offshore 064a.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 5570 times
jons pics2 011b.jpg
jons pics2 011b.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 5568 times

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Damn you!

Post by Islander » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:15 pm

We also went out early Sat morning for a troll.

Only went I guess 7 - 10 miles out and water was dirty (and choppy) and didn't see squat not even one bird working...

After an hour or so we gave up and headed back in (had work to do) and arrived back at a 20 mtr hole close to home - drifted thru that jigging metal slices for nada zippo zero zilch, then put her on the mooring just as the wind layed down! :cry:

On our way back, just near home we saw a fast moving school of fish jumping clear of the water, looked to be mackerel but who knows - headed them off at 7 knots trying to intersect their path but they sounded and never saw them again.

Gave up basically - very peed off!
Outta time and fuel - was just a quick looksee for nowt result.

Gotta hate that - specially when someone just up the road does OK!!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Re: 30mt on the W/E

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

Mullaking wrote:Went out approx 50km on the weekend to have a bit of a play.
Tried a few reefy spots on the way only to leave dissapointed with not even a stripey to speak of.
Eventually found a school of Bludger Trev which also contained some Spaniards, Mack Tuna and Goldens.
Found a stray Chinaman while on the drift too which was small but red. Red is a very exciting colour when your out amongst it. :lol:

Bust ups all around, birds going ballistic, bait schools getting annihalated, reels screaming, lures going awol :shock: :shock: :shock: .......pretty much loved every minute of it. 8)
Excellent Day Shane!!! Great Variety of Nice Fish!!!

8) 8) 8)
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Sorry to hear you didnt do so well Islander.
I have had many a day like that too. We searched for most of the morning and half the arvo trying to find fish. We were lucky enough to stumble on them around lunch time but had to work them for a while until they fired.

I heard a rhumer that leithl went out too but havnt heard how he went yet.

Saw over 20 boats out and the carpark was pretty chokkers. Would be good to hear how they all went.

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 am

Hi Shane,

I went out with Tony Russell and Mark Davis, we had a great day. We got stuck into some Giant trevs on both trolled lures and on fly. Mark smashed a few of them with an 8weight and also subdued some queenies to 5kg on fly as well, then he blew us away with a spanish mackerel of about 15kg on 4 kg line to the boat in about 5 minutes and Tony cleaned up with coral trout on lures.

It was a great day, and we were back home on the couch by lunch.

Cheers Leith.
Quality not Quantity!

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 am

Hey Leith,

Nice job.

So wheres the pics!!

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 am

Here is a couple,
Attachments
IMG_6592.JPG
Mark - Queenfish
IMG_6592.JPG (65.83 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
IMG_6577.JPG
Leith - Giant Trev
IMG_6577.JPG (67.23 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Quality not Quantity!

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:43 am

Nice pics. I have yet to take an interest in fly fishing but I hear its great. I am going to start playing with line class this year. Ill be looking for new outfits shortly in prep for the comp.
Oh in case you havent read the club forum its 9,10+11 August. I attended the first planning meeting for the comp last week and I can tell you its gonna be a great comp. Without giving too much away I can say the prizes are looking better than ever.
Jump on the club forum to see more.

That guy you are with, I hear he is the new column writer??

Return to “FISHING IN PORT HEDLAND, PILBARA, WESTERN AUSTRALIA”