weekend away

Fishing the Esperance region in the south eastern corner of Western Australia. Latest Beach Fishing and Boat Fishing reports from local correspondent Russell Stone. Bream, Mulloway, Snapper, Salmon, Groper...

Moderator: rusty

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

weekend away

Post by rusty » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 am

Well guys i finally got a weekend away last weekend with my oldest son Karl and what a effort to get there, we packed and set off on friday morning to go to point malcolm only to break an axle just out of town in the mighty old blue landcruiser due to as we later found out a broken diff housing.
We decided that no matter what we were going weather or otherwise, so we unpacked everythingback at work and re-packed the lot into Karls Hilux and off we went, the isralite track was quite muddy in places but otherwise it was alright all the way in, most of the beaches were wahsed away as we have consistentley large swells down this way for best part of three months, the fishing club has now cancelled on three consequetive monthsWe arrived at Malcolm after a 3-1/2 hr trip and set about cleaning the campsoite as per usuall some idiots had left it really messy, never ceases to amaze me how these clots take there stubbies etc and nappies out so how hard is it to take them back :roll: :evil:
Karl and i set up a lean to and went over to the beach to check it out and we found that the main beach was half washed away and you could only get half way along as a massive hole now blocks the top end off, (this will need looking at in the next week or so when stevo gets back as its the biggest gutter i have seen in this area, most of the beach and also the next two bays were weeded up, i managed a couple of casts and picked up a couple of salmon but not much else, overnight the swell picked back up to 5m plus so that was our only beach trip mostley we went exploring and also shot off lots of bullits at beer cans etc, on monday moring we burleyed up the calm bay side and proceded to catch a bucket of herring and pilch which i converted to roll mops when we got home. anyways thats all folks till next week :lol:
Attachments
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 030 (600 x 450).jpg
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 030 (600 x 450).jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 023 (600 x 450).jpg
me in my hill billy clothes killing cans
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 023 (600 x 450).jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 017 (600 x 450).jpg
me johnnie and the book again
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 017 (600 x 450).jpg (77.36 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 015 (600 x 450).jpg
me kicking back with a book and bottle of red label that is
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 015 (600 x 450).jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 014 (600 x 450).jpg
karl rugged up
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 014 (600 x 450).jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 013 (600 x 450).jpg
saturday the only calm day
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 013 (600 x 450).jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 012 (450 x 600).jpg
nice gutter in back ground
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 012 (450 x 600).jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 011 (600 x 450).jpg
anothery
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 011 (600 x 450).jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 010 (600 x 450).jpg
old fart me with my first salmon
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 010 (600 x 450).jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 007 (600 x 450).jpg
drift wood table from the back beach
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 007 (600 x 450).jpg (95.89 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 006 (600 x 450).jpg
mark v gas bbq
landcruiser rim and bizza plate top and large single burner
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 006 (600 x 450).jpg (72.81 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 005 (600 x 450).jpg
another veiw off campsite
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 005 (600 x 450).jpg (110.24 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 004 (600 x 450).jpg
fire started and camp set
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 004 (600 x 450).jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 003 (600 x 450).jpg
Karls hilux
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 003 (600 x 450).jpg (93.38 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 002 (600 x 450).jpg
point malcolm campsite
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 002 (600 x 450).jpg (102.11 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 001 (600 x 450).jpg
karl kicking back at the camp
last weekend august point malcolm campsite 001 (600 x 450).jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
I live with fear sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!!!!!

Ross Compe

Point Malcom Freedom

Post by Ross Compe » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Hey Rusty! I reckon thats the best beach fishin camp I have seen!
Here is a photo of me aged 12 in Sydney with a 303 at a rifle range
Attachments
R Compe 303 Tel Sights 12yrs Sydney (Small).jpg
R Compe 303 Tel Sights 12yrs Sydney (Small).jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 9234 times
Last edited by Ross Compe on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember Folks There Has Never Been A Fish Worth Dying For"

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Is That

Post by Islander » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Is that a Savage .22 Rusty?

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters
http://www.flywest.com.au

rusty
Forum MODERATOR Fishing in Esperance

rifle

Post by rusty » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:09 am

The gun is a Krico 22 hornet k and its a wicked fox and bunnie killer.
The son and myself are off to a mates farm this weekend with our guns as he has a rabbitt plague.
Our gun collection is a stirling 22 mag and also a krico 22 hornet, squibman 22 long and a sportco 303/25 with the mauser acttion,
i used to have a custom made 375 mag and also a 308 but whern we shifted sth from port hedland i sold them as not much big stuff to shoot down sth, i also had smith & weston stainless 357 mag when we were barra fishing but sold it 8 years ago as i would have had to join a gun club etc and it seemed at the time the law was going to come down on pistol owners, down here its realeasy to go on farms shooting vermin iff you do the righty etc.
To me its good as the dragon and myself are rather partial to rabbit hot pots :)
We are also very lucky down here as there is quite a large population of feral deer, both fallow and red :shock:
I live with fear sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!!!!!

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:58 am

Sweet camp Rusty. Miss beach fishing.
I had a Krico .22 most accurate rifle I ever had. Even better than the .270.

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

Sweet

Post by Islander » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Sounds like a sweet setup Rusty.

I have 3 guns

.22 Anschutz Hornet
.243 Winchester featherweight
12 guage side by side P Beretta.

I had a 45/70 US Govt Marlin Lever action saddle carbine back in the pig hunting days but sold it to a mate who was going to the territory to shoot water buffs.

I guess a few of the local Esperance deer farmers lost a few eh? :lol:

There's a few more deer getting round the state now thanks to a few deer farm escapes... I used to take great interest in the various mobs... (even had 1 or 2 escape from our place over the years - trees down over fences in storms, gates left open - kids) etc.

Best I can remember these are all the locations I know of (Esperance is a new one for me).

1. Margaret river, some of the deer farms there lost deer over the years, however there was an original acclimatization society release there back in 1899 of two pairs each of fallow & Red Deer.

Last "recorded" sighting was in 1925 of red deer at Karridale on a mr Smiths property. When I did some work with Harry Butler he told me he had seen red deer in the Boranup swamp in about 1960

There were severe wildfires in Karridale some time in the late 1920's after the last reported sighting in 1925 which locals said caused the deer to swim the Blackwood river and head off into the Scott River plains.

It seems they did because I got asked by the APB in Manjimup to follow up 2 reported sightings on Stewart Road between Augusta and Pemberton. I found deer hoof prints on the road verge in the immediate vicinity of Barlee brook bridge on Stewart Rd.

That was about 1987 a year before I started farming deer in Nannup myself.

2. Balingup.
Guy I knew from Kiwi land (Peter Chilwell) bought a property on Hay Road, and farmed NZ red deer for a few years - went into fiscal trouble and was living off the property working as a shearer, with a caretaker in the house. There was a big summer thunderstorm and the property being so steep, a huge gully eroded under the fence - I could walk under the fence in the bottom of the gully without ducking my head.
About 30 odd Red Deer escaped into the adjacent CALM pine plantations - some were recovered but only a handfull.

I've seen some great tree rubs from reds with antlers in succeeding years at rutting time (mid March - early April)

3. Nannup.
Mate of mine has reds on a small farm in Nannup, he lost a small number of red deer over the years, maybe 3 or so. Used to see one female in his paddock near the road quite often.

I also farmed deer in Nannup for 20 years - and lost a few over the period - fallow & Reds - ONE particular Red Stag was my prime breeding Stag - and had a huge set of 12 point antlers.

It was a month before the rut so he hung around waiting to get back into mate with his herd of hinds. Sadly he ate most of the surrounding neighbors fruit off their trees and they complained to the APB - who issued me a destruction order (shoot him or they would and charge me the costs). They weren't smart enough to realise in a few weeks he'd a walked in thru the gate to get at his herd of females in season.

I had my mate the roo culler shoot him on the neighbors property, so it would all be "legal" and he went into pet meat - I gave the culler a hand to cape out the head and remove the antlers & a contact in Perth who's a taxidermist - and he got the head stuffed and mounted.

It hung in his local shop in town for a few years and got all the tourists talking.

Lastly, while fishing down towards Pemberton on the Donnelly river (Boat Landing Road) my family and I saw a really nice Red Stag standing in the middle of the road on the way home one afternoon maybe 8 or so years back, he just stepped off the road and stood in the bush and watched us drive slowly past, family got a real good look at him - in antler.

4. Jandakot area!

I was asked by a mate who bought some fallow deer off a chook farmer in the Jandakot area to shift some deer he'd bought and took my deer trailer up to help out.

These things were wild as - the guy obviously hadn't farmed them at all (I could hand feed most of mine), when he went to run them into his excuse for a deer handling shed, they turned the opposite way down his lane way system away from the shed and the whole herd bolted to the other end.

One of the big bucks jumped and hit a treated pine pole about 8 feet tall - near the top - it snapped at ground level, and with the deers momentum and weight the wire fence sorta stretched like a big tennis court net and laid over flat just long enough - allowing about 20 odd fallow (bucks and does) to just jump out onto the swampland at the back of his deer farm before the fence popped back up into an upright position.

Hunters from around Perth were shooting and bow hunting them for years - probably still a few around. One guy told me he put an arrow into a Fallow deer and it bolted, ran straight across a intersection of 2 x 2 lane arterial roads with traffic lights, while the cars were stopped with this arrow stickin out of it - much to all the drivers astonishment.!

Nother guy told me he got a mate to drop him off out of his car just before dawn one morning in the rut - and keep driving around this bock of swamp on the 4 big arterial highway roads that surround it, and he went and shot a fallow doe - dragged it back to the edge of the highway under a bush - and his mate pulled up - waited till no cars (pretty quiet that time of morning) they stuffed it in the boot - threw the gun in and bolted back home where they skinned & gutted it in his shed.

No idea whats left of that herd - apparently a lot of the pilots who use Jandakot airport still see the odd deer there in those swamps surrounding the area.

5. Moonyanooka (East of Gerladton).

Again back in 1898 / 99 the acclimatisation society (forerunner of today's Perth zoo) got some Indian black buck antelope from India sent out. They were sent up to a guy with a hyphenated surname named "McKenzie - Grant" who owned Moonyanooka station east of Geraldton. He reputedy had quite a zoo out there with Zebra & Girrafes and all sorts.

Eventually the farm / station (Half wheat growing and half station country) sold to the Clune family (Bernie Clune last time I heard). Local papers around the early 1940's reported US troops stationed at Geraldton during WW2 shooting the by now herds of blackbuck numbering in the 100's, from jeeps with machine guns for fun & pet food use.

Later they were said to have died out but in reality the APB are still trying to poison the last of them to this day.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... cervicapra

The reference to longs paper of 1982 was the last i read about them - I used to have a copy once.

Anyway the area of Moonyanooka that hosted the Blackbucks got sold (probably compulsorily acquired) by Clune I presume to the Fed Govt and is now the home of a secret federal spy base located there with one or more a them "white domes".

Not a great place to get caught wandering around armed in camo gear chasing antelopes - I'd imagine the fed soldiers who guard the place would take a dim view and maybe shoot first and ask questions later!

I've seen a nice set of buck horns from Clunes farm gathered by a poacher before the spy base went in. He got them off a dead corpse presumably poisoned by the APB 1080 oats trail near bye.
At the time he was hiding under a bush from the Farmer Clune out feeding his sheep when he smelled something a bit off - found the carcass under the same bush as him and hacked the horns off when the coast was clear!

How do I know this? Ahh - lets just say he n I once hid under the same bush together, hiding from a farmer with a .303 lookin for us, in the clare valley in Sth Australia one fallow deer hunting trip. :oops: (My first deer hunting trip - got a nice fallow buck the day before!).

Nice lookin little critters hey!

6. Mt Barker Kendenup Area
Knew a guy farmed some Red deer down that way, said there were Deer around the Porongorups. Never went to look myself tho.

7. Rocky Gully.

Very early - back in the 1960's some Fallow deer escaped from a deer farm at Rocky Gully.

8. Esperance as Rusty says

9. Some fallow sposed to be around Dwellingup in the hills

10. Mandurah (well closer to Pinjarra actually) last red deer s'posed to have been shot around the early 1960's between Mandurah & Pinjarrah - they were another royal acclimatisation society release back in about 1899 according to Arthur Bently's book on deer in Australia.

11. Gingilup Swamps- Col Allisons book on deer hunting in Australia mentions some supposed deer in the Gingilup swamps, and hints at Hog Deer but thats the Scott River plain area I referred too in area 1 above and we know Fallow & reds were released there, so it seems likely given the APB sightings I looked at in about 1987 and Harry Butlers info from 1960 that its possibly the same herd / release.

Who knows where else - I seem to forget things as I get older, I'm sure there's deer herd locations I've forgotten.

If when I think of another I'll add it too the list!

Anyone else can feel free to add to the list!

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

wookie

Post by wookie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:12 am

There is Black Butt Antelope in the NT too. last time I was up there I got an invitation to go out for a look but ran out of time. Offer is still on the table though....

Also a heard of Fallow in Baldivis. Bowhunt only proposition. :wink:

Islander
Master Angler Ranking

I read this elsewhere

Post by Islander » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:16 am

I recently read this elsewhere about the NT Blackbucks
There was also a wild herd in Cape York only a few years ago until the the Queensland government got word of it and shot them out :cry: , none have been seen in the last couple of years, it's wild country where thay were, so there still could be the odd one mixed with the Chital and Rusa.
Much the same situation in WA - theres the odd one but people seem determined to wipe them out - instead of allowing them to breed up into a productive but manageable small herd.

Then again people catch fish to the point of extinction, so should we expect any different?
Indian Blackbuck are a medium sized antelope reaching a maximum height of 90cms and can weigh up to 50kgs. Status: Threatened.
Maybe someone needs to charge the Agriculture Ministers in WA & NT in charge of the "culling programs" with international wildlife offenses for taking threatened fauna!

Imagine the boot on the other foot.......

Imagine some Agriculture dept in India was shooting and poisoning the last few remnant feral "Thylacines" imported from Tassie in 1890, that had got out of a zoo, and were breeding up and killing goat herders sheep and goats.

That's just what we are doing to their threatened species - rather than rounding them up and shipping them back to India for a captive breeding population!

Our whole concept of "wildlife management" is so screwed up in Australia! :roll:

Cheers
Flywest Fishing Charters

Return to “FISHING IN ESPERANCE, WESTERN AUSTRALIA”