SKIPJACK 24' - Sportfish IV Looking Good

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Timmy

SKIPJACK 24' - Sportfish IV Looking Good

Post by Timmy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:19 pm

The engine looks good back where it belongs. It's hard to see the work Randy had to do other than the new manifolds & risers.

Your electrical handy-work seems to be improving too. Very clean installation.

Keep adding the pictures so we can vicariously enjoy your progress on this great fishing boat!

Bob Fisher
Administrator

New Mercruiser Exhaust System for OMC

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:03 pm

Tim,

Yeah I know, I need to get some close-up photos of the 'custom' sections so you can see them. Randy had an idea in mind but there was nothing 'off the shelf' - no complete kit so to be speak. So he had to refer to catalogs for the different pieces he had in mind and make phone calls and inquiries etc. For this, and for installing the new manifolds and risers and cutting and fitting the other new exhaust sections he charged two hours labor. I think he did me a favor....(Not to forget the complete new Mercruiser thermostat housing and hoses that he replaced too. )

I'll get some new close-up photos so you can see the work that he did for me...

Yesterday I put a new fuel sender in. What should have taken 1/2 an hour took all afternoon...The access hole to the underfloor tank has only enough room to squeeze my hand in there. With your hand in the hole you can't see a thing AND you have to line up the new cover plate with the existing holes in the tank without dropping any of the 5 retaining screws. Oh and I forgot, I had to cut the new sending unit float arm and the support bracket to suit the depth of my tank. Then you've got to mount the float arm at the appropriate height on the support bracket...There's a table on the back of the kit with two columns that gives you the measurements for all of the different tank sizes. You can see that they've calculated their results using Pythagorian's theorum. But as I rechecked everything I found a very simple 'visual' method of verification. I'll post a photo...You don't want to get it wrong coz your tank won't read full or empty (correctly) if you do.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

moikey

SF IV

Post by moikey » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:12 am

8) Webmaster,

Your boat is looking awesome. That is the perfect size boat for two people that want to enjoy a days fishing on the open water. Is Timmy (previoues post) the same little Timmy McDaniel that you refer to on your home page, your mate that moved to Indiana? I'm sure you guys will have many fishing days ahead of you.

What ever became of SF II? This is the premier sportfising website on the internet. Keep up the good work.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24'

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:14 pm

Hey Moikey,

You're so full of it! And how about that McDaniel boy? My electrical work is improving? That's the same standard I've always had!

SportfishII is still sitting in the storage yard down at the river. I need to take it out for a run, check everything out and sell it.

Also, he's going to have to come back to California if he wants to go out in the new boat. I'm not going anywhere for a while... I heard the sturgeon bite is improving...

I agree with you, a 24' Skipjack is the perfect size fishing boat for two people :wink: (maximum). Can you get anytime off? If so, let's go!
I need a crewman to take photos of me catching sturgeon so that I can produce a new fishing report for SFW.

I'm off to that used boat parts place today. I phoned them yesterday and they have a steering wheel for a splined shaft hub. The guy (Mark) said "You must have an OMC...We've got a used stainless steel wheel here with wood trim for $40." While I'm there I'll get a two more gauges for the boat: a voltmeter and an ampmeter and also see if they have any captain style chairs.

I am really close to putting this boat in the water for the first time, I'm thinking (hoping) maybe this week...

Bob
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Timmy

WTF

Post by Timmy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:52 am

What's all this gas-bagging about taking the boat out for its maiden voyage (as Sportfish IV anyway) and only having room for two. That's going to be one expensive charter service I think!!

Well Captain Bob, will you have her in the water prior to the little jaunt to Niku-land??

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Out on Vacation

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:18 am

Not much happening with the boat at the moment...
That's because I'm writing this while I am on vacation in Japan!

The boat is ready to go in the water for it's first trial run or 'maiden' voyage...I plan on doing that as soon as I get back!
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Timmy

U R Back!!!!

Post by Timmy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:52 pm

So you're back from Japan and have a million things to do around the house but get your priorities straight lil'chicken! First, get your ass out there on the Napa River for some Striper action - this should be a daily routine in either the morning or the evening depending on the tides (best time of year for this type of fishing and I'm stuck here in Indiana just dreaming about the good ole days).

Once the stripers stop biting, then you'll need to turn your attention to Sportfish IV and take her out for a run!

Damn I'm envious :evil:

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Language

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:56 pm

Lil' Timmy

Your language is bordering on 'inappropriate' for this forum...
However I will let it go this time because a) you had to move back to Indiana and b) you work for an evil corporate giant who are sucking the life-blood out of you

John S. and I are planning a run up a certain Napa River slough in Sportfish II this afternoon...Then I REALLY have to sell that boat to finance the completion of the new one!

A 7.0 ft high tide down to a 0.2 ft low should see the water being sucked out of the floodplains like the proverbial

Then it's back onto SportfishIV, the cars, the house and studying for my Captains license

Gotta go - got work to do on this website first before I get my gear ready and head off

Further discussion about Stripers should go in the Napa River forum
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

moikey

Stripers

Post by moikey » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:31 am

So, this isn't the appropriate forum for stripers but Strippers are ok here? :D Glad to see that you've got a new first mate with some class - imbibing of the red grape on a fishing outing - that's what you should have on board once you get the Captain's license. Big John would be the perfect party host.

You know, SF IV kinda of reminds me of the SS Minnow and if Johnny bulked up a bit he'd be a good skipper. June could be a good MaryAnn (Indiana farm girl and all). Little Timmy could be the Professor. With your excessive wealth (i don't know anyone with as many boats and cars) you must be a blue blood Howell. Now, you just need to cast a Ginger, Mrs. H. and a little buddy and you're all set for a three hour cruise.

Timmy

Bobbigan's Isle

Post by Timmy » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:33 pm

I guess Moikey could be Gilligan.

Maybe you could get Deanna to play the part of Marianne then we could all get lost on Treasure Island (or at least take some photo's around the island - with ropes & stainless steel bars, etc.) eh, Captain Bob?

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”