Skipjack 24' - Sourcing Trailer Parts

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' - Sourcing Trailer Parts

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:55 pm

Champion Trailers have a comprehensive list of trailer parts - including a catalog downloadable in PDF format that I've found very useful. They also have detailed "how-to" instructions. I've downloaded the parts catalog simply to use as a reference. It can help you determine what you need and how to specify it - no matter where you buy your parts from...

Champion Trailers (Online Trailer Parts Store)
http://www.championtrailers.com/

Eastern Marine (Online Trailer Parts Store)
http://www.easternmarine.com/

Now that I have my bearing size and spindle dimensions I'm thinking of replacing my rusty old drum brakes with a new set of Tie Down, 5 stud, 10" disc brakes from Overtons http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-1384999-10046017
Attachments
Disc Brakes.jpg
New Disc Brake Conversion
Disc Brakes.jpg (12.33 KiB) Viewed 8168 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_13.jpg
My Rusty Old Drum Brakes lying in the driveway!
BOAT_TRAILERS_13.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 8166 times
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Disc Brakes

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:30 am

After doing more research it seems that my current trailer isn't a candidate for disc brakes due to the spindle type and bearing size. On my trailer the inner bearings are 1 3/8" (L68149) but the outer ones are something weird, like 13/16" or 7/8" (LM12749). At this stage I am checking out prices for a new trailer versus the cost of rebuilding the current one... I'll keep you informed of my decision.

FYI I've done wheel bearings many times but removing the brakes was a first time for me. However it was quite easy. An air-powered impact driver was essential in removing the rusty bolts.

UPDATE: Latest quotes on trailers was approx $5500 from Pacific Trailers (California) and $6700 for a H/D custom trailer from DHM Enterprises (Sacramento, Ca) ...
Attachments
BOAT_TRAILERS_01.jpg
BOAT_TRAILERS_01.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 8150 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_19.jpg
With the wheel off and the brakes out of the way I could now get get a closer look at the springs and how they are attached to the trailer frame. It has now become an area of concern....
BOAT_TRAILERS_19.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 8140 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Trailer Rebuild

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:43 am

Just a quick update... I'm getting the trailer rebuilt by professionals. They have a lift for the boat and a dolly. I'm taking it in and they are going to remove the boat, replace the axles and springs, brakes (stainless steel discs) and tow hitch-brake actuator and brake lines... It's not cheap but it's less than half the cost of a new trailer...
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”