Skipjack 24' - Trailer Boat Maintenance!

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:24 pm

I'm afraid to ask what he has to chop off for a new truck. I guess he's ok if Loraina Bobbit isn't around.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

New Trailer!

Post by Bob Fisher » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:35 am

I priced a new boat trailer today, one that would carry a 24' Skipjack with an inboard motor... A sensible thing to do, for comparison, seeing that all mine needs is new rollers and brackets, springs, U-Bolts, winch, winch strap and a paint job... the quote was around $5,000. Guess I'll beat up my fingers for a few more weekends... Now, where is my pneumatic impact driver?....

Shawn, is Karen available for weekend house calls???
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Trailer Springs...

Post by Bob Fisher » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:56 am

Mike,

How do you replace or beef-up sagging springs on a (boat) trailer?

I know that you can place spacers and fit longer U-Bolts... But are they under tension? Is there a special procedure?

I could do with your assistance on this one!
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Shawn

House calls

Post by Shawn » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Shawn, is Karen available for weekend house calls???
Yes...she is available for house calls, but it doesn't look like you hurt your vagina...

moikey
Mechanical/Technical

springs and things

Post by moikey » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:11 pm

Looking at that picture, I think you need to leave spring replacement to a trained professional. :lol: You'd need to get the boat off the trailer and get the weight off the springs - use jackstands. Use a floor jack under the spring to slowly lower the spring out after unbolting. Not a one person job especially if you're doing it in the driveway...
Eat more NIKU...

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Working the System

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:12 am

Just heard today that Squid's boat was sunk near the dock by the wake from a tugboat up at Sacramento, Ca. Apparently Squid and Ms Squid were sitting at the back of the boat cuddling (how sweet) on the way into the boat launch when the wave came over the stern. Ms Squid has said that he can now get a bigger boat. I was only trying to get a new trailer... Talk about going to extremes to get a NEW BOAT Squid!
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' on Trailer

Post by Bob Fisher » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:02 pm

OK folks... you are better off starting with a NEW trailer or a trailer in GOOD condition and maintaining it!!! Too much time and money trying to bring an old one back from the dead... I just wasted a year on mine...
Attachments
Skipjack24-01.jpg
SportfishIV on her NEW Custom-Built trailer. 7500lbs rating, galvanized, 4 wheel disc brakes... expensive but worth it
Skipjack24-01.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 9728 times
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Re: Skipjack 24' on Trailer

Post by Bob Fisher » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:04 am

fishmaster wrote:OK folks... you are better off starting with a NEW trailer and maintaining it!!! Too much time and money trying to bring an old one (like the one I had) back from the dead...
My STRONG word of advice... Before you purchase that used fishing boat that you've always dreamed of, or a cheap fishing boat that is all you can afford, consider this:

What is the condition of the trailer? In my case the trailer was beyond repair. I've had trailer boats all of my life but I was taken in by the size and the beauty and the possibilities and the style of fishing boat that I've always wanted and I overlooked the trailer that it sat on. My heart overuled my head and basic common sense. In the end a new trailer for my 24' Skipjack cost me 2 1/2 times the price I initially paid for the whole rig!!!

The frame was rusted, the hitch was welded on. The axles, hubs, bearings and brakes were all non-standard. After many months of busting my knuckles, phone calls and internet searches for parts, I finally gave in and bought a new trailer...

Some basic rules:

Saltwater: galvanized trailers only

Freshwater: painted is ok

Bearings: Fit 'Bearing Buddies' and make sure that the bearings are always lubricated with fresh grease. Remove and repack your bearings every one or two seasons.

Washdown: Thoroughly wash down your trailer after every trip.

Brakes: Discs are better than Drums. However they now make a lot of anti-corrosive parts for drums...

Questions/Concerns about your boat or trailer. Then join the forum and let real fishermen help you with real practical advice...
Attachments
BOAT_TRAILERS_14.jpg
YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR AXLE SIZE BY THE SERIAL NUMBERS STAMPED ON YOUR INNER AND OUTER BEARINGS!
BOAT_TRAILERS_14.jpg (72.73 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_13.jpg
Most of these parts can be replaced with galvanized/aluminum/anti-corrisive parts these days! Needless to say: These brakes did not work!!!
BOAT_TRAILERS_13.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_06.jpg
Bent roller pins, twisted and rusted brackets... you need to cut them with a grinder to get them off
BOAT_TRAILERS_06.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_05.jpg
BOAT_TRAILERS_05.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_04.jpg
Heavy duty in the seventies... Out of date and difficult to work on and upgrade now! And painted is no good for saltwater.
BOAT_TRAILERS_04.jpg (67.15 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_03.jpg
Rusted Brake Actuator... Inside and out! Siezed piston means that your hydraulic brakes will not work!
BOAT_TRAILERS_03.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
BOAT_TRAILERS_02.jpg
IS YOUR AXLE A STANDARD SIZE? Non Standard Axle Size means you will have problems sourcing parts... like brakes and bearings...
BOAT_TRAILERS_02.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Wheel-Bearings.jpg
Wheel Bearing Serial Numbers can be used to determine axle size for replacement wheel bearings and also for brakes if applicable! These bearings are shot!
Wheel-Bearings.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 9413 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”