Skipjack 24' - Trailer Boat Maintenance!

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' - Trailer Boat Maintenance!

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Working on the boat trailer today, replacing rusted bolts and re-adjusting the trailer bunks - while the boat is still on the trailer. Limited room to move, laying on my back in the gravel driveway. Air-powered impact driver on the head side of the bolt, wrench (ring spanner) on the nut side. The 'nut' side is obviously 'my' side... the nut is frozen. suddenly the bolt turns rapidly from the air powered tool - wrench spins around and traps finger against trailer frame. Air impact tool is still running, finger is getting squashed. chugga, chugga chugga... Run down to house and ask missus to get ice - quick! Three hours later, ice wrap and pain killers don't do the trick. I'm having a beer now and I've finished working on the trailer for the day!

(The other side of the finger is split)
Attachments
finger-01-600.jpg
ouch
finger-01-600.jpg (51.42 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Charlesatthelake

Squashed hand

Post by Charlesatthelake » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:06 am

:lol:
What some people will do to get a cold beer.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 am

Dear Bob,
No pain no fun! No risk no reward! No blood no life! It made me sick to look at the picture, but same time I am so proud that you are still chasing your dream and passion for life. Good on U, take care.

Wei

sportfishbabe

Vehicle Ownership Rules

Post by sportfishbabe » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:57 am

1. It's not yours until you bleed on it.

:wink:

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:10 pm

...was your hand still attatched to the rest of you when you ran to the house ??? OUCH!!! Dayum thats gonna be a few days before you be shaking hands with someone...

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Hand

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:22 pm

I carried my hand back to the house on a paper towel. It's in the freezer...
I have to get it re-attached sometime this week so that I can work on the trailer again next weekend!!!

:?
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

twmcdaniel

Nice!!!

Post by twmcdaniel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:25 am

I remember about taking my thumb off with the angle grinder on Sportfish II, still have the scar from that one! Glad I wasn't helping you out on this one as that would probably be a picture of my hand - can't say I'm glad it was you, just glad it wasn't me.

Hopefully you had quite a few beers and maybe some scotch too!

Bob Fisher
Administrator

A Fisherman's manicure - Angle Grinding Thumbs

Post by Bob Fisher » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:58 am

For a Real Fisherman's Manicure - Use an Angle Grinder!

Yes, I remember that one well. I was going to bring it up if you didn't...
We were working on Sportfish II... You turned around and was talking to me while still holding the angle grinder in your hand. It sliced you to the bone.

Let's not go into business doing boat and trailer repairs!
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:26 am

:evil: Bob, I really don't feel too bad for you. While other people are working and paying for their boats to be seaworthy and having to deal with their spouses complaining about how much money and time are put into their boats, you're working it the correct way.

First you tell her how much money you will save by purchasing a used boat and telling her you can fix it for alot cheaper than you can buy a new one. Then you work on it for along time. Finally, when you can't take it anymore, you go out to the boat, lulling her into a false sense of security, as if you are going to fix it and make it work correctly.

Your plan...get some part of your body really bloody, make it look terrible and work on her sympathy. Once you have that, you might be able to sell the old one and talk her into a new one with all the payments.

I always knew you were smart and playing average.

hehehehehe. Just kidding. I think you need more beer. :D

Rich

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Ulterior Motives...

Post by Bob Fisher » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:39 am

Rich,

You are soooo right...
I already have the sympathy thing going for me, so I'm just waiting for the next boat show so that I can go and buy me a BIG Stripper, sorry I mean't (SeaSwirl) Striper! That's a Freudian slip...

Maybe I'll get both!!!

p.s. Tim chopped his thumb off with my angle grinder working on my old boat (Sportfish II) and his missus let him go out buy a brand new boat for himself... He said he wants a diesel pickup truck now, so what's he going to chop off next???
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”