Skipjack 24' - MAIDEN VOYAGE!

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Skipjack 24' - MAIDEN VOYAGE!

Post by Bob Fisher » Mon May 15, 2006 1:03 am

Well folks, it finally happened...Today I just said to heck with it and towed my latest project boat down to the river. For those who have been following the saga, I've been working on it (on and off) for about a year now... I was on my own but the conditions were very calm so I didn't see too many problems handling it. She started up first pop - like she always does in the driveway at my house so I untied the docking lines and cast off. I decided to head upstream first. She cruised along beautifully and for such an old boat/motor the engine was soooo smooth and quiet. I pushed the throttle down about half way - she's a big, heavy boat and she slowly came up on the plane and then was riding along absolutely beautifully. Yes, this is better than I had ever imagined... I'm in heaven - I can't wait until I get her out onto the ocean....and then she died, came off the plane and settled at rest in the gentle current of the incoming tide. I waited a while and then cranked her over - the two, big marine batteries seemed to be low on reserve??? (that's strange they are basically new) but anyway there was still enough power to get her started again....
I turned her around and headed straight back to the ramp but she picked up speed and was planing again. Oh well, I'll just cruise straight past the ramp - I mean everything seems ok now, doesn't it. Well another 400 yards up the river she dies again. This time I'm drifting towards rocks and have to throw out the anchor. The batteries are unable to crank the motor this time so I check the connections first. Wow, red hot!!! and the battery boxes are full of water/acid... Both batteries were totally cooked. Fortunately a guy I flagged down agreed to tow me a few hundred yards back to the ramp... He said I had a short circuit somewhere - but all of the gauges worked fine and no fuses were blown. A seemingly knowledgeable, onshore bystander came up to me when the boat was back on the trailer. He stated that it was most likely the voltage regulator telling the alternator to supply more amps. Sounds feasible to me - I'll pull the alternator out and take it in to be checked tomorrow... Here's some pics from the baptism...
Attachments
SKIPJACK24_001.jpg
Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel - Skipjack 24' 307 Chev
SKIPJACK24_001.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
SKIPJACK24_003.jpg
1977 Skipjack 24'
SKIPJACK24_003.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 6043 times
SKIPJACK24_006.jpg
Sportfish IV - She's soooo deep and sits so high in the water compared to Sportfish II
SKIPJACK24_006.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 6042 times
SKIPJACK24_008.jpg
1977 Skipjack 24' - so much deck space... A years labour - let's get her running and go fishing!!!
SKIPJACK24_008.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 6041 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Mullaking

Post by Mullaking » Mon May 15, 2006 5:12 am

Shame about the hiccups but good to see the old girl wet. Heaps of deck space there for fishing. I like it.

Wish it was here. We could kick ass in the comp.

moikey
Mechanical/Technical

sf IV

Post by moikey » Tue May 16, 2006 4:58 am

Got to agree with Shane. It's good that you got her in the water. Hopefully it is as simple as the alternator and that she'll be back in the water soon. Keep us posted.
Eat more NIKU...

moikey
Mechanical/Technical

sf IV

Post by moikey » Tue May 16, 2006 4:59 am

Got to agree with Shane. It's good that you got her in the water. Hopefully it is as simple as the alternator and that she'll be back in the water soon. Keep us posted.
Eat more NIKU...

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Electrical Problems

Post by Bob Fisher » Wed May 17, 2006 10:03 am

So I went down to the boat today and pulled out the alternator and the batteries. Good news is that the batteries weren't cooked, I thought that they were the low maintenance type but they weren't i.e. I could actually lift the lids to cells to inspect them. When I checked them they were both still full of water. I brought them home and put them on the charger and they are both at 100% now. So the next question is why why did the engine die when I gave it some revs, why did the batteries get drained and why were the terminals so hot to the touch? If it indeed was an electrical 'short' then wouldn't some wires have burnt out or some gauges, the bilge pump or the tilt motor stopped working? You would think that the ignition fuse or some of the other fuses would have at least blown? Can the electrical fault still be with the alternator or the regulator?
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

moikey
Mechanical/Technical

Battery issues

Post by moikey » Thu May 18, 2006 6:19 am

Put a volt meter on and check the output. Make sure that the alt isn't overcharging. Make sure that the ground cables are clean and tight. A loose cable could possibly cause it to die if it was breaking the connection under acceleration. Hard to diagnose remotely but hopefully you will find it soon and be out on the water.
Eat more NIKU...

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”