SKIPJACK 24' - Polyurethane/Marine Plywood

Sportfish IV is a 1977 24' Skipjack currently being restored.

Moderator: Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

SKIPJACK 24' - Polyurethane/Marine Plywood

Post by Bob Fisher » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:46 pm

If you are new to this forum then you need to look at the bottom picture first. This was the interior of the boat in the previous owner's driveway when I first saw it. So anyway, the latest updates are to the interior trim. The side panels were covered in vinyl over a foam padding but both sides were totally perished. I was going to replace the plywood backing, foam and vinyl but I am running out of time. The weather is incredible at the moment and I have to get the boat in the water...As an interim measure I have sanded down the ply side panels and coated them with an exterior, oil based polyurethane. However, I did replace the lid to the engine cover with new marine ply. It has a number of coats of polyurethane on the outside surface and fiberglass resin that has been sprayed over with rubber undercoat on the inside.
Attachments
SKIPJACK-24-003.jpg
SKIPJACK-24-003.jpg (52.37 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
SKIPJACK-24-006.jpg
SKIPJACK-24-006.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
SKIPJACK-24-005.jpg
The old lid was rotten and had pulled away from the hinges. I made a new one out of marine ply and I also reinforced the inside of the lid and the entire engine box. I then sprayed a rubber undercoat sealer over the fiberglass resin.
SKIPJACK-24-005.jpg (104.82 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
SKIPJACK-24-004.jpg
SKIPJACK-24-004.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
SKIPJACK-24-PROJECT-BOAT.jpg
DAY ONE. The boat in the previous owner's driveway. Among other things, the side panels were perished and were falling off.
SKIPJACK-24-PROJECT-BOAT.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “PROJECT FISHING BOATS:SKIPJACK 24'”