Adding Images

You are welcome to discuss any general topic that you wish to in this forum!

Moderators: barra_on_fly, Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Adding Images

Post by Bob Fisher » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:28 pm

I am going to lay out some steps (hints) here for people who are having trouble uploading images or adding attachments. I'm also going to ask Leith to comment/contribute as he is able to add High Quality attachments that still meet the maximum size requirements for forum posts. (You need look no farther than the pics in his 'Fly-Tying' posts as some of the best examples that I have seen...)

I have two software programs that I use to resize and crop digital photos for forum attachments and image uploads.

1] Adobe Photoshop (relatively expensive)
2] Photoshop Elements (relatively inexpensive)

I also use Adobe Photoshop to import my old, scanned photos and re-colorize them and touch them up if necessary.

FYI I have recently increased the maximum dimensions allowed for forum attachments to make it easier for some people...

Adding Attachments to a Forum Post

600x400 (or 400x600) is the preferred MAXIMUM size

more details coming soon...

Uploading Images through the Submissions Page

These images go into one of the fishing photo galleries. When you click on a thumbnail you get a full size image that takes up the whole page, therefore you want the image to be much larger than the images that you attach in the forum.

800x600 (or 600x800) is the preferred MINIMUM size for the galleries but you can submit larger images as we will reduce them...

more details coming soon...
Last edited by Bob Fisher on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Uploading Images/Adding Attachments

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Shane, Barra anyone else care to contribute here?
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 am

Sorry for the late reply, I seemed to have missed this thread.

Anyway, here is how i go about posting my pics.

I use a very basic camera a Cannon PowerShot A520, this camera has 4 mega pixels. The quality of the pics i get from this camera is pretty good considering that you can purchase it for around $300 AU.

Anyway getting back to posting pics. The camera came with its own program called ZoomBrowser EX. It has an export option which i use. When exporting (see pic) it ask's if you want to resize the pic, of which i change to 640 x 480 and then save the pic onto my desktop which is where I pick it up from when posting onto the forum.

Sounds easy dosnt it! I have included another pic below to show some of the detail i can get from my little camera.
Attachments
IMG_2055.JPG
Screen Dump!
IMG_2055.JPG (70.51 KiB) Viewed 6152 times
IMG_1752_2.JPG
IMG_1752_2.JPG (108.32 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
Quality not Quantity!

Leith Larham
Forum MODERATOR PHGFC Port Hedland

Post by Leith Larham » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:30 am

Just playing around to see how large a file i can attach to the forum. Is anyone else able to post pics this size?

Cheers Leith
Attachments
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG (125.16 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
Quality not Quantity!

barra_on_fly
Forum MODERATOR Fishing W.A. & Australia

Post by barra_on_fly » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:20 am

Not usually, but I generally reduce them to less than 80k by the way I do it. Might try next time I get a good pic!

Bob Fisher
Administrator

Scanning Photos from Old Prints

Post by Bob Fisher » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:14 am

Scanning Photos from Old Prints/Enhancing in Photoshop

I just got off the phone with my old mate Linc who is about to get his first digital camera. He's going to submit some photos to us from his new digital camera which will be great. However, that's another/separate topic. Linc is a 35mm SLR photographer from way back. He's told me that his classic prints from the old days are all fading... He's got some great shots and he doesn't want to lose them forever so I've talked him into buying a scanner.

We are both from Perth in Western Australia originally but now I'm in the USA and now he's in New South Wales (Australia) so we've gotta help him out over the internet in this forum...

Anyway, I've said that it's not a problem if you scan them in at a high resolution and adjust the color/brightness/contrast in Photoshop. I've posted an example for me mate Linc...

The photo is actually of Linc in the passenger seat of my little Suzuki 4WD at the Reef Beach turnoff near Bremer Bay on the South Coast of Western Australia. This is from a 4x6 matte finish print, the photo was taken by me in the 1970's.
Attachments
suzuki-reef-beach-01a.jpg
BEFORE: This is what the actual faded print looks like (now) today. So I scanned it in at high resolution and adjusted the colour/brightness/contrast
suzuki-reef-beach-01a.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
suzuki-reef-beach-01.jpg
AFTER: After adjusting the scanned image in Photoshop it looks a lot like the original was when it was first taken...
suzuki-reef-beach-01.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Capt. Aussie Bob Fisher
SportfishWorld, LLC.

Return to “OPEN FORUM”